Skip to main content

The Wondermill Junior Deluxe Hand Grain Mill

Wren and her new grain mill
I've been wanting a grain mill for a while and this week my husband Jay bought me one: the Wondermill Junior Deluxe Hand Grain Mill. I love it! I've already set it up and, quite literally, given it a whirl.

Some specifics: It's very sturdy, with all metal working parts. It's got a heavy duty clamp to attach it temporarily to a table, or you can screw it down permanently. It comes with stone wheels, or burrs as they're called, for grinding grains, as well as stainless steel burrs, for grinding oilier things, like nuts. (Make you own peanut butter!)

After the easy set up, you pour grain in the hopper and set the tension for a course or fine grind. And you're off!

You're off, yes indeed. Some would say off your rocker. I mean I'll be honest, it's work. I had to take off my sweater after a minute. I had to switch arms several times. Just think about the size of windmill or a watermill. That's the kind of force people have harnessed throughout history to grind grain. And home grain mills do come in electric varieties. Why would Jay buy me this one?

He knows me, that's why.

See, even though it's work grinding the flour, for me, there's something pleasant and rewarding about it too. There's the feeling that you're earning the Faux-Reos that you're going to bake with that whole wheat. But there's also the feeling that you're earning a greater understanding of food and of what goes in your body.

Here's an example: I tried grinding both hard winter wheat and spelt. Before this, all I knew about spelt is that it's a variety more tolerable to those with wheat allergies. But now I've felt it. (So much softer than the winter wheat!) I've smelled it. It's like someone who up till now had only read that a flower is the reproductive part of a plant. And then they stroke a petal and inhale the perfume. Ahhh.... OK.... Now I know what spelt is.

And speaking of perfume, freshly ground flour has a smell. Flour? A smell? Yea. It's amazing. It's fresh. It's nutty. It smells like something you definitely want to eat!

Having said all this, there will be adjustments. The waffles I made this morning with the hand-ground wheat were so soft they were impossible to get on the plate in one piece. (I think I now need to reduce the butter in the recipe.) But they were delicious. There was that nuttiness again.

Yes, that nuttiness again. I know in this day and age when most people barely bother to slice up frozen cookie dough, it's insane to hand grind your own flour. Oh well. It may be loony but it sure tastes good.

Signed
Wren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Present-ation!

I've finished making a whole pile of frayed ruffle hearts . They're cute the way they are, but to make them extra special, I'm putting them in pretty cellophane bags, with curly ribbons and hand-made tags. Sometimes I get lazy and don't spend the extra effort on great gift wrap, but it's so worth it, isn't it? The other exciting part of this is I'm not just sending these hearts to family and friends. I've got 3 set aside for Aunt Peaches Valentine Swap ! Yea!!!

Lessons from BlogHer '13

BlogHer '13—my first blogging convention—was last weekend. And I learned a lot! For example: #1 No Russians are reading my blog. When I look at the statistics for who's looking at Smalltropolis, it's very impressive. For example, today I have 43 pageviews from Latvia. Switzerland is represented, as is France, Denmark, China. Just a world-wide appeal I have goin' on. (Gloat.) Thing is, as I learned at BlogHer, that's almost certainly because the analytics I'm looking at aren't very accurate. Lots of spam is included. To get the real numbers, I need to sign up for Google Analytics. Блин! #2. Great photography doesn't come from the womb. The kick-off keynote speaker was Ree Drummond. I'd certainly admired the beautiful photography on her blog, The Pioneer Woman multiple times, so it was pretty enlightening when she showed some of her early photos. They were, quite simply, dreadful. It really drove home how good writing and good photography a

Perfect pickle weights

Making pickles requires keeping the vegetables submerged in the brine so they don't get yucky. But what to use as weights? Stones? Hmm. This may be traditional but I have a hard time believing I could get them clean enough. Plastic baggies filled with pickling juice? This is what is usually recommended but it just doesn't appeal to me. (Does the plastic leach anything out during the fermenting period?) Hand-made ceramic discs? They're lovely but they're $22 (plus shipping) for three, and each jar needs a couple so that would get pretty expensive to do the multiple jars of pickles I've got going on. No, the perfect solution are these little glass candle holders from IKEA. They're called Glimma and at $1.99 for a six-pack, they're safe, sanitary, and cheap. And they fit perfectly inside wide-mouthed Ball jars. So, fill the jar with vegetables (leaving a bit of headspace) and top off with brine, allowing the liquid to flow into the glass dish,