Skip to main content

Annual sugar consumption...what's yours?

I've always loved chocolate chip cookies, or as my best friend and I called them, CCCs. We could eat a bag in one sitting. "Chips Ahoy!" Yes, matey, even the name seemed to call to us. We'd wash them down with a gallon of milk and then lay around in our hot, sticky dorm room, lounging off the sugar coma, not even remotely sorry for what we'd done. Uhhhhh, even now I'm feeling the craving coming over me. I don't do crazy things like that anymore.

Well, maybe it's a little crazy to keep track of how much sugar you eat in a year. But that's what I'm going to do. I read in an article that the average annual sugar consumption in the U.S. is about 150 pounds. Maybe it's some tiny scrap of competitiveness finally surging within me, but I'm curious as to how I measure up.

Picture 1

In this chart published by the USDA, you can see that Americans, on average, consume 65.6 pounds of cane and beet sugar. I'm not sure how I'll compare to that but I can make good guesses about the other two categories. I'm pretty allergic to high fructose corn syrup so I do everything I can to avoid it. Honey, on the other hand, is an important staple in our household. I think I'll go well over the pound and a half average!

So how am I going to do it?

First, I'll break it into two categories: at home sugar consumption and outside sugar consumption.

I bake a lot so, for me, the first category is as important, if not more so, than the second. It will also be easier to measure. I'll simply take note of how much sugar I have in the house currently, keep track of how much I buy during the year, and subtract what's left in my pantry at the end of the year. Of course, Jay will eat some of what I bake, so I'll divide this in half. (Or take 60%? Do I eat more of my baked goods than Jay?)

For sweets consumed outside the house, I'll just have to keep a record and make my best guess as to how much sugar is in the item. At the end, I'll also round up a pound or two since sugar is in so many things you wouldn't suspect: sauces, breads, etc.

I think this should give me a reasonably accurate estimate of my annual sugar consumption. Plus, I'm hoping that, by being more aware of it, (and having to note it!), I might lower my consumption a bit outside the house.

So, let's see what happens! At the moment, I'm in the middle of my annual New Year's six-week sugar fast, so consumption is almost zero. (I say almost because there's been a few cheats. Fortunately, there have been few enough that I can remember them all and will record them!)

Wren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Present-ation!

I've finished making a whole pile of frayed ruffle hearts . They're cute the way they are, but to make them extra special, I'm putting them in pretty cellophane bags, with curly ribbons and hand-made tags. Sometimes I get lazy and don't spend the extra effort on great gift wrap, but it's so worth it, isn't it? The other exciting part of this is I'm not just sending these hearts to family and friends. I've got 3 set aside for Aunt Peaches Valentine Swap ! Yea!!!

Lessons from BlogHer '13

BlogHer '13—my first blogging convention—was last weekend. And I learned a lot! For example: #1 No Russians are reading my blog. When I look at the statistics for who's looking at Smalltropolis, it's very impressive. For example, today I have 43 pageviews from Latvia. Switzerland is represented, as is France, Denmark, China. Just a world-wide appeal I have goin' on. (Gloat.) Thing is, as I learned at BlogHer, that's almost certainly because the analytics I'm looking at aren't very accurate. Lots of spam is included. To get the real numbers, I need to sign up for Google Analytics. Блин! #2. Great photography doesn't come from the womb. The kick-off keynote speaker was Ree Drummond. I'd certainly admired the beautiful photography on her blog, The Pioneer Woman multiple times, so it was pretty enlightening when she showed some of her early photos. They were, quite simply, dreadful. It really drove home how good writing and good photography a

Perfect pickle weights

Making pickles requires keeping the vegetables submerged in the brine so they don't get yucky. But what to use as weights? Stones? Hmm. This may be traditional but I have a hard time believing I could get them clean enough. Plastic baggies filled with pickling juice? This is what is usually recommended but it just doesn't appeal to me. (Does the plastic leach anything out during the fermenting period?) Hand-made ceramic discs? They're lovely but they're $22 (plus shipping) for three, and each jar needs a couple so that would get pretty expensive to do the multiple jars of pickles I've got going on. No, the perfect solution are these little glass candle holders from IKEA. They're called Glimma and at $1.99 for a six-pack, they're safe, sanitary, and cheap. And they fit perfectly inside wide-mouthed Ball jars. So, fill the jar with vegetables (leaving a bit of headspace) and top off with brine, allowing the liquid to flow into the glass dish,